[OT] Small Form Factor PCs

Dale Sykora dalen at czexan.net
Sun Jun 27 03:12:11 UTC 2004

Robert Locke wrote:
> I know this is a bit off-topic, but y'all seem to have good advice so
> thought I might throw this out there....
>
> I have been trying to do some research on Small Form Factor PCs and seem
> to have located three manufacturers that seem to meet my needs:
>
> Biostar IDEQ 200 (www.biostar-usa.com)
> Shuttle XPC (www.shuttle.com)
> Little PC LP401 (www.littlepc.com)
>
> My question pretty much boils down to see if anyone has worked with or
> has an opinion on any of these.
>
> My basic desire is to set up a SFF file server for the various household
> PCs to connect to.  My requirements are pretty much that it be able to
> house a 200GB+ HD and have it run Linux....  I also am looking to have
> something that will be lower power consumption.....
>
> Any advice??  And any suggestions on retailers for any of these??
>
> TIA,
>
> --Rob
Robert,
	Make sure you have adequate cooling.  I had thermal problems with a
Compaq SFF and a Seagate 80GB drive that showed up as drive errors in
/var/log/messages .  You might want to consider getting an older laptop
or a cheap one with a broken display.  You could add your 200GB drive
with an external usb box.

Thanks,

Dale