X freeze with kernels 2.6.6-X (solved)

Marco Coli marco.coli at hi-cad.it
Sun Jun 27 10:20:41 UTC 2004

Jerry wrote:

> Please post the sub revision level of the kernels you are using and your
> kernel boot parameters.  Can you get any error messages in the kernel
> logs?

As I stated before, the problems are present with all 2.6.6-X kernels
officially released on fedora channels. I tried every subversion
released. No problems with 2.6.5-X, all subversions.

My boot parameters (I include som lines from my grub.conf file):

[...]
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
         root (hd0,1)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=/dev/vg00/lvol0 rhgb quiet
vga=791
         initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
[...]
title Fedora Core (2.6.6-1.435)
         root (hd0,1)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.6-1.435 ro root=/dev/vg00/lvol0 rhgb
acpi=off vga=791
         initrd /initrd-2.6.6-1.435.img

Note the acpi=off option, essential for me, to boot with any 2.6.6-X
kernel without freeze.

I carefully examined kernel logs after freezing, but I didn't see any
unusual string. Maybe there wasn't enough time for syslog to write
errors before freezing?

--
Saluti - Marco Coli