connect FC2 to winXP

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Sun Jun 27 14:38:25 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 09:41, Jeff Vian wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 06:30, Dexter Ang wrote:
> > hicham wrote:
> > > ok , now I have my network card on FC2 activated
> > > with a private ip address 192.168.1.2 and a subnet
> > > mask on the first PC
> > > and the second Pc on winxp same thing ( 192.168.1.3 )
> > > samba server running on FC2
> > >
> > > ping from each pc to the other
> > > I get unreachable
> > >

> > check that both network cards actually have a light when you've
> > connected the crossover cable. if they don't, you might be using a
> > straight-through cable.
> >
> > and if they both light up... what is the exact configuration? what
> > subnet mask did you give?
> >
> > dex
> >
> Hichan,
>
> Please provide info about subnet mask? (it should be the same on both
> machines),  default gateway? (needed),  routing table?
>
> You need to get the network working before you worry about samba and
> sharing.

Actually in this case the default gateway should not be needed.  Won't
hurt but is not really needed here.  Just make sure the two machines are
in the same subnet.

As you said he needs to get basic networking operational first.  He
should be able to ping the other system.

Make sure the firewall on both systems is disabled for now.  Not sure
how to do that on the windows box but do a service iptables stop on the
linux box.

Then try pinging the systems again.  If that does not work then post the
output from the following commands on the linux box:

ifconfig -a

netstat -rn

and from the windows box:

ipconfig \all