regd FC2

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 27 16:56:36 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 07:17:59PM +0530, Nagaprabhanjan Bellari wrote:

> I could not find any file XF86Config file in the /etc/X11 directory.
> Then where is the configuration info for X stored?

In FC2 the XF86 package has been replaced by the xorg xserver because
of distribution license changes.  The current xorg server is
effectively a fork of the last XFree86 server just prior to the
license change so there is not much functional difference.

So on FC2, look for xorg.config in /etc/X11.  Also look for Xorg.0.log
in /var/log (dates on log files will help).  Note some slightly
inconsistent use of upper and lower case.

FC2:
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sun Jun 27 09:37:26 2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"

FC1:
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Jun 21 18:28:24 2004
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"

N.B. that there is a search list for the config file and some clever
fall back strategies that can make things work in unexpected ways so
do inspect the log file in /var/log to see what configuration was
used.  i.e. xorg will use XF86Config if xorg.conf is absent etc.

I do recommend that FC2 folks use up2date or yum promptly.  Some minor
but confusing X things and bug fixes have been cleaned up.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l