unresolveable updates message

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Jun 27 18:03:33 UTC 2004

I have fedora core 2 mostly installed and this is the speakup version of
the product needed because I need a screen reader to use a computer under
any circumstances.  I ran up2date and got a chain of three programs that
are an unresolveable update one of which is expect another python and I
don't remember what the third program is now.  What short of reinstalling
the system can be done to clear this kind of problem?  disc3 and disc4 of
the fedora core 2 set have never burned successfully and that was even
after rsync.  I could reinstall fedora core 1, those discs all burned
successfully but I need to know then how to use either yum preferably or
up2date to upgrade the whole system back to fedora core 2.  I'm wondering
in future if the rpm data bases could be updated with a field like
temp_gone which would be true/false and when one of these unresolveable
chain situations comes up again, first mark in the data base all records
temp_gone=true that is needed to to resolve the dependency, then download
the files that couldn't be downloaded and mark them as temp_gone=true as
they're downloaded, then change all temp_gone=true to temp_gone=false in
the data base.  Any help solving this immediate problem will be much
appreciated.