KDE stopped working after an update

Joshua Andrews josh at wavefood.com
Sun Jun 27 19:16:47 UTC 2004

Ian Hilliard wrote:

> I've been running Fedora Core for a couple of weeks now and for the most
> part, it has worked quite well. As I prefer KDE to Gnome, I did an apt-get
> from apt.kde-redhat.org to get a more original KDE version.
>
> Unfortunately,last Thursday when I did an update it seems to have broken
> something. I am no longer able to log into KDE. That is to say, when I log
> in at the login screen within a second I am returned to the login screen.
> I've been through /var/log/messages and /var/log/kdm.log, but there are no
> error alerts in those logs.
>
> Does anyone else have the same problem? Does anyone else have any idea
> what the cause of the problem is?
>
> Ian

The only updates I had on Thursday were dhclient and GIMP, neither of
them seem likely to effect KDE so maybe up2date picked up the kdelibs
update package for the original version?

Check the versions of your KDE packages.

rpm -qa 'kde*'

This is from my FC2 system running "stock" KDE;

kdeadmin-3.2.2-2
kdesdk-3.2.2-2
kdesdk-devel-3.2.2-2
kdebase-devel-3.2.2-4