kernel 2.4.22-1.2194 clicks monitor

Lin Tse Hsu evfreek at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 27 20:01:01 UTC 2004

--- Andy Green <fedora at warmcat.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 June 2004 19:52, Hongwei Li wrote:
>
> > We have a fc1 linux with kernel 2.4.22-1.2188 and
> 2.4.22-1.2194 installed.
> > The X-window was working well with kernel
> 2.4.22-1.2188.  This morning, I
> > ran up2date to get kernel 2.4.22-1.2194,
> installation went through without
> > error.  However, after reboot, the X-window cannot
> start.  The monitor
> > shows the text-mode login screen, then a sound of
> clicking, then black,
> > then the text-mode login screen, then a sound of
> clicking, ... endless.  I
> > how to set the system starting with a pure text
> mode, then I can probe a
> > new monitor to prevent it from burned.
>
> There is most likely nothing wrong with your
> monitor.
>
> Some problem with X is causing it to begin to start
> up, and then exit.
> inittab is set to make X restart on exit.  So you
> get this repeated change of
> video mode.  Many multisync monitors are using
> electromechanical relays to
> change mode, hence the click, which is normal.

It isn't always harmless.  The key is that you do see
a good display for a split second.  This means that
your monitor is still good, but your software is
telling it to do something which is not conducive to
providing a good display.  This means that your
monitor is probably OK.

Here's how you can tell if your monitor was damaged by
XFree86.  Pull the horizontal output transistor, and
check the CE junction in both directions.  If there is
a dead short, the clicking is caused by the power
supply shutting off its over current contactor when it
cannot source the shorted load.  You can replace the
dead HOT, but I would recommend buying a new monitor
which includes protection circuitry that prevents junk
software from drawing the flyback circuit off
resonance and overheating the HOT.  I have personally
toasted 5 monitors with Linux, and 1 with Windows.