kernel 2.4.22-1.2194 clicks monitor

SilverLight silverlight at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 21:09:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:01:01 -0700 (PDT), Lin Tse Hsu <evfreek at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here's how you can tell if your monitor was damaged by
> XFree86.  Pull the horizontal output transistor, and
> check the CE junction in both directions.  If there is
> a dead short, the clicking is caused by the power
> supply shutting off its over current contactor when it
> cannot source the shorted load.  You can replace the
> dead HOT, but I would recommend buying a new monitor
> which includes protection circuitry that prevents junk
> software from drawing the flyback circuit off
> resonance and overheating the HOT.  I have personally
> toasted 5 monitors with Linux, and 1 with Windows.

Wow, what are you doing to fry your monitors?  I've been using
computers for a long time now, and have been through just about every
O/S I can get my hands on...  but have never toasted a monitor.  I'm
seriously curious as to how you can cause this with a released (or
even beta) Operating system.

Actually, come to think of it, i've only ever had one monitor fail
over the years, and it was a cheap one, I forget the name now., but it
had a notorious problem of one part failing - so I always just chalked
it up to that, instead of blaming windows (which is what I would have
liked to do).