vi wierdness

Mark Haney mark.haney at doctordirectory.com
Mon Jun 28 17:37:51 UTC 2004

I am really hoping someone on this list has an answer for the strange
problem I am having.  I've seen this before, but I can't pin down a reason
for it to be happening.  I have several FC2 boxes at home I can SSH into
for various reasons, and a FC2 mail server running sendmail/dovecot at
work.  I can SSH and use vi just fine on my machines at home, but for some
bizarre reason, I simply can't use vi on the mail server.  Let me rephrase
that, I can run vi, but I cannot get the normal commands to work.
[INSERT] doesn't put me in edit mode, CTRL-C doesn't get me into command
mode to save the file, it all seems scrambled.  Like I said, I've seen
this with other OS's on a few occsaions over the years and can't find a
reason for it.  Does anyone know how to fix it?  Or have you seen this
problem before?

--
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Mark Haney
Network, Database and Systems Administration
DoctorDirectory.com Inc.