vi wierdness

I am really hoping someone on this list has an answer for the strange problem I am having. I've seen this before, but I can't pin down a reason for it to be happening. I have several FC2 boxes at home I can SSH into for various reasons, and a FC2 mail server running sendmail/dovecot at work. I can SSH and use vi just fine on my machines at home, but for some bizarre reason, I simply can't use vi on the mail server. Let me rephrase that, I can run vi, but I cannot get the normal commands to work. [INSERT] doesn't put me in edit mode, CTRL-C doesn't get me into command mode to save the file, it all seems scrambled. Like I said, I've seen this with other OS's on a few occsaions over the years and can't find a reason for it. Does anyone know how to fix it? Or have you seen this problem before?

-- Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Mark Haney
Network, Database and Systems Administration
DoctorDirectory.com Inc.