Fedora needs more evangelism for repositories

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Mon Jun 28 21:17:35 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:47:44 -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
>>Package: *
>>Pin: release l=Fedora Extras, a=stable
>>Pin-Priority: 1850
>>
>>If package abc is in "Fedora Extras" and any other repository, it will
>>only use the "Fedora Extras" package.  This should keep repository
>>mixing from happening for the most part.
>

> It doesn't know about dependencies though, does it? So, you would still
> satisfy the dependencies of package X from repo A with packages Y and Z
> from repo B. And exactly that is an untested and unsupported configuration
> and one of the dangers of mixing repositories.

No, this is exactly what the priority covers -- choosing which
repository to use when the same package name is encountered.

So, if you have mplayer in livana, and dag the setup I proposed would
choose livana even if it had a lower version number (for better or
worse, I choose to put livana at a higher priority because they seem to
be related with fedora.us

Mike