Fedora needs more evangelism for repositories

T. Ribbrock emgaron at gmx.net
Mon Jun 28 21:35:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 06:05:39PM -0700, Mike Fedyk wrote:
[...]
> Once you get used to repositories, you won't know what you did without them.

Not true for me... :-) I used repositories in both Fedora (yum) and
Mandrake (urpmi) and while I like them for installing new software, I
actually dropped back to plain rpm for all updates, in combination to
the wget scripts I've been using for ages. Why? 'cause I keep mixing up
the options for urpmi and yum (and it'd get even worse if I had to add
apt-get to the mix as well...), while the rpm+wget approach just works
the same on both systems as well as on the Aurora systems I also have.
Especially with updates, that's pretty easy, too, as there are little
to no dependency problems (which is a bigger issue for installing new
software).

Cheerio,

Thomas
--