Another sendmail relaying problem.

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 29 06:51:09 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 03:32:08PM +0200, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:32:08 +0200
> From: Alexander Dalloz <alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de>
> To: For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: Another sendmail relaying problem.
>
> Am Mo, den 28.06.2004 schrieb Franco um 12:30:
>
> > Hi, in the /etc/mail/access i have nothing
> > this is all relay blocked.
> > But if someone send an e-mail to a local user and
> > in his from address put other local user e-mail it
> > relay without problem.
>
> No, that is no relaying but accepting incoming mail for local delivery.
> Or is that incoming mail really relayed to a different mail host then?
> What happens with mails from outside to local users where the from
> address - can I guess you mean the envelope address? - is no local one?
> Is the mail accepted then too or rejected?
>
> I ask myself why you run a mail server if you don't want to get incoming
> mails. At least for administrative jobs the MTA for a domain must accept
> incoming mail, like for the postmaster@ address. Else you are ignoring
> RFCs.
>
> Just as a last trial, or are you speaking of aliased local addresses?
> Then read
>
> http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/protected.html

Reading this it almost sounds as he would like all external mail to
be blocked.  Connections outside the organization can be blocked with
port filtering or with sendmail setups.

But if the question is: how can external mail from spammers be blocked
at the same time that desired mail is delivered the question gets more
interesting.

Of interest, it is important that if you send mail out you should
accept replies.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l