[FC1] Houston, we have a problem with updated tcl/tk packages!

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Tue Jun 29 13:10:53 UTC 2004

Am Di, den 29.06.2004 schrieb Gilbert Sebenste um 6:24:

> Whathas happened, apparently, is that they put out new updates...that are
> the old programs. So, they put out an earlier version back on the update
> site, so yum doesn't catch it. On the Fedora main site they have
> just the old version on there, not the new buggy version. But on
> mirror sites, they have *both* new (buggy) and old (good). That's what is
> causing the problem.

Hi Gilbert,

I am sorry but I can't really follow you. What I see on the main Redhat
server is following:

http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.updates/tcl-8.3.5-96.1.i386.rpm

So that is the updates directory for FC1 with the new package version
-96. You say that package is buggy? There is no old tcl/tk package in
updates. -93 is the original version. Went to

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/

and there is the same situation. I am feeling really puzzled by your
posting. What are you speaking about? When update packages come out, the
old packages are not deleted. They stay in the repository with the
packages of the Fedora which was originally shipped. The installer tools
like yum, up2date and apt - but mainly it is rpm itself - are
recognizing that there is a new package by the higher version number
(and/or epoch) and choose the update package.

> Is this worth a bugzilla, or will it go away if the mirrors start from
> "scratch" somehow when they sync up?

Of course it is a bugzilla if you can judge that the new bugfixing
tcl/tk packages  version 8.3.5-96 do bad things / are buggy themselves.
Can you explain your critics in short form?

You say the yesterday announced update packages "Fedora Core 1 Update:
tcltk-8.3.5-96.0.1" are no real good updates but itself broken?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.6.6-1.435
Serendipity 15:02:00 up 2 days, 16:49, load average: 0.33, 0.32, 0.22