[FC1] Houston, we have a problem with updated tcl/tk packages!

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 29 13:29:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> Am Di, den 29.06.2004 schrieb Gilbert Sebenste um 6:24:
>
>> Whathas happened, apparently, is that they put out new updates...that are
>> the old programs. So, they put out an earlier version back on the update
>> site, so yum doesn't catch it. On the Fedora main site they have
>> just the old version on there, not the new buggy version. But on
>> mirror sites, they have *both* new (buggy) and old (good). That's what is
>> causing the problem.
>
> Hi Gilbert,
>
> I am sorry but I can't really follow you. What I see on the main Redhat
> server is following:
>
> http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.updates/tcl-8.3.5-96.1.i386.rpm
>
> So that is the updates directory for FC1 with the new package version
> -96. You say that package is buggy? There is no old tcl/tk package in
> updates. -93 is the original version. Went to
>
> http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/updates/1/i386/
>
> and there is the same situation. I am feeling really puzzled by your
> posting. What are you speaking about? When update packages come out, the
> old packages are not deleted. They stay in the repository with the
> packages of the Fedora which was originally shipped. The installer tools
> like yum, up2date and apt - but mainly it is rpm itself - are
> recognizing that there is a new package by the higher version number
> (and/or epoch) and choose the update package.
>
>> Is this worth a bugzilla, or will it go away if the mirrors start from
>> "scratch" somehow when they sync up?
>
> Of course it is a bugzilla if you can judge that the new bugfixing
> tcl/tk packages  version 8.3.5-96 do bad things / are buggy themselves.
> Can you explain your critics in short form?
>
> You say the yesterday announced update packages "Fedora Core 1 Update:
> tcltk-8.3.5-96.0.1" are no real good updates but itself broken?

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2004-June/msg00048.html

<check the primary download site  http://download.fedora.redhat.com>

tcl-8.3.5-96.0.1 is now the fixed update (which should replace)
tcl-8.3.5-96.1 which has compatibility issues with expect/fc2 upgrade.

Update with step-down version number is bad - and is not picked up by
automated tools such as yum/up2date (if the update tcl-8.3.5-96.1 was
already installed).

The following mirror site doesn't have tcl-8.3.5-96.1 any more.
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/1/i386

Satish