Re: Odd results comparing installed files with rpm package information

Scot L. Harris said:

> I believe the second column contains the files size as recorded in the
> rpm database.  However in the above example the file size reported in the
> rpm database for /usr/bin/vim is 2071700.  The ls -l reports 2077400.

The file on your hard drive has been prelinked, so it's MD5SUM (and I guess size) can be different than reported in the RPM database.  If you use "rpm -V", it has the logic to take this into account and report if a file has changed.

--
William Hooper