help: DHCP & cable-modem

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Tue Jun 29 14:33:10 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 22:23, Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-06-27 at 22:09, javac at mail.com wrote:
> > i have a cable modem, and periodically lose my internet connection.  Presumabely, my provider is changing my IP and FC1 isn't automatically detecting the new IP. ?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > javac at mail dot com
>
> Possibly, however the cable companies I am familiar with don't seem to
> change the IP address very often.  I believe I have had the same IP for
> close to a year now.  Are you getting a different IP every time this
> happens?
>
> I had a connectivity problem and it turned out to be the signal strength
> being provided by the cable company.  Had to have them out to put a
> meter on it and shortly after that they seem to have fixed it.  What I
> was seeing at that time was connectivity would drop and the cable modem
> was indicating that there was no signal from the cable company.
>
> When your connection drops are you able to immediately re-establish the
> connection by restarting your networking?  Are the lights on the cable
> modem indicating the cable connection is good?  Or is it flashing
> indicating it does not have a connection?
>
> Are you connected directly from the cable modem to the FC1 computer? (I
> always recommend a hardware firewall if possible they are inexpensive
> and do a good job)
>
> --
> Scot L. Harris
> webid at cfl.rr.com
>
> You can have peace.  Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> both at once.
> 		-- Lazarus Long
If it is a signal/connection problem you should see errors.
Here is a portion of my gateway NIC. As you can see no errors. Even one
error can be an indicator if issues (since retransmits are not
considered errors).

          collisions:18896
          RX bytes:703121558 (670.5 Mb)  TX bytes:75482583 (71.9 Mb)

--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>