x86_64: biarch shared libraries broken for gtk2 on FC2?

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Tue Jun 29 19:01:47 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 01:46:12PM -0500, Phil Dybvig wrote:

>   I have encountered a lot of cases in which there are shared library errors in
> 32-bit programs running on FC2, most commonly for gtk2 libraries.  For example,
> running the realplayer 10 from www.helixplayer.org, I have the following errors:
>
>   /usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-xpm.so: cannot
>   open shared object file: No such file or directory
>

> It is looking in the wrong place (/usr/lib64 instead of /usr/lib) for the 32-bit
> libraries.  I can fix the problem if I do a global change of lib64 to lib and
> x86_64 to i386 in the files in /etc/gtk-2.0, but this breaks the 64-bit
> programs.  Putting both sets of links in the file also fails (unless I am

You are correct in what it is doing, but the real question is why.  This is
not a GTK problem  at all, and stems from the actual build side of helix.
Generally this type of issues if corrected via libtoolize, Makefile edits,
or in worst cases script and code changes.  I have not tried a helix build
yet in either 32bit or 64bit, but that would be the first place to look.  I
will give helix a run later and see what I find as well.

Justin M. Forbes