Fedora needs more evangelism for repositories

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Tue Jun 29 20:39:54 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> What do you do if another package was prepared for and tested with the
> newer version of mplayer?
>
> Example: repo A (priority), repo B
>
>   "libfoo 1.0"    is from repo A
>   "libfoo 1.1rc2" is from repo B
>
>   "bar" from repo A  was built and tested with libfoo 1.0 from repo A
>   "baz" from repo B  was built with libfoo 1.1rc2 from repo B
>
> You install "bar + libfoo 1.0" from repo A, the higher libfoo 1.1rc2 is
> ignored due to prioritized Apt-pinning.
>
> What happens if you want to install "baz"?

I pretty much aviod that by using priorities above 1000 which will
install a package from a repository even if it is a downgrade.

I'm not sure on the semantics of upgrading and priorities below 1000.  I
will have to do some experiments.

Check out the apt_preferences manual page.

It's interesting that I was able to switch from mplayer from livana to
mplayer from dag by changing the priority and running apt-get dist-upgrade.

Now I will have to learn how yum handles repository priorities...