problem with CUPS

León Alberto Ramos Mendoza ramez at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Jun 30 05:09:43 UTC 2004

Hi guys!

Regarding the CUPS and ML-1710 SAMSUNG printer, I think that there are
some issues here.

This seems to work for a couple of hours, but, suddenly it stops,
then,I need to restart the service manually or by printing someting
using the lpr command from a terminal. This is quite anoying because I
have smb users complaining about the availability of the printer.

Hesty already reported this problem and Tim replied him with a
question, I just wanted to help and to see if there is a possible
solution to this problem. thanks ! =)

"Hello all,

I am having problem with cups after naively running
setup script for Samsung ML-1710 laser printer (USB).
The driver is available here:
http://www.samsung.com/Products/Printer/support/Download/driver/
driver_SamsungLinuxDriver_0000004418_3.htm

Afterwards, everytime starting cups, I get this error
message:

Starting cups: Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/sbin/printconf-backend", line 7, in ?
     import backend
   File "/usr/share/printconf/util/backend.py", line
52, in ?
     which = cups_import.which_spooler ()
   File "/usr/share/printconf/util/cups_import.py",
line 191, in which_spooler
     which = l.split ('.')[1].strip ()
IndexError: list index out of range

I cannot run redhat-config-printer,
redhat-config-printer-gui, printconf, etc. More
importantly, I cannot print to the printer :(

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Hesty"

Tim asked Hesty the next lines:

"What does '/usr/sbin/alternatives --display print' say as the very
first two lines of the output?"

And this is what I have:

"print - status is auto.
  link currently points to /usr/local/linuxprinter/bin/llpr
/usr/bin/lpr.cups - priority 40
  slave print-cancel: /usr/bin/cancel.cups"

I hope this helps.

Thank you in advance!
Leon