is yum working? unable to update a system

François Patte Francois.Patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Wed Jun 30 05:27:31 UTC 2004

Selon Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at NASA.gov>:

> On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 12:44 -0500, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Di, den 29.06.2004 schrieb François Patte um 19:38:
> >
> > > I try to update my system and it seems to be impossible using yum (I
> > > have already sent some messages).
> > >
> > > First attemp:
> > > ---->
> > > [root at totoche root]# yum update
> > > Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> > > Server: ATrpms for Fedora Core 1 stable
> > > Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> > > Server: Dag RPM Repository for Fedora Core
> > > Server: FreshRPM
> > > Server: JPackage 1.5 for Fedora Core 1
> > > Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
> > > retrygrab() failed for:
> > >   http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/1/i386/yum/headers/header.info
> > >   Executing failover method
> > > Server: Fedora Core 1 NewRPMS.sunsite.dk
> > > Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
> > But you didn't open your eyes when visiting rpm.livna.org. There is
> > bold
> > text in a red box - read it now!

So! I agree, I'm guilty, I had read but didn't get immediatly the meaning. I
read it now....

> You will also want to read the warning about mixing repositories at the
> top of http://www.fedora.us/wiki/FedoraHOWTO.
>
> My experience is that one should use packages from either the FreshRPMS
> "family" (FreshRPMS, ATrpms, Dag [Axel would comment this one out, but
> works-for-me. ;^)], NewRPMS, Dries, ...) OR Fedora.US/Livna but NOT
> both.  Only JPackage seems to be sufficiently friendly as to be mutually
> compatible.

OK. I have kept in my yum.conf, only compatible repositories: Fedora.US/Livna
and commented out the others.

New attempt this morning:

[root at totoche root]# yum update
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora Core 1 -- Fedora US mirror
Server: Fedora Linux (stable) for Fedora Core 1 -- Fedora US mirror
Server: Fedora Core 1 updates -- Fedora US mirror
Server: Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Unreleased Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
....Unable to satisfy dependencies
Package xmms-faad2 needs faad2 = 0:2.0-0.lvn.0.1.rc1.1, this is not available.

I *do not understand*!!!

1- I excluded all xmms in yum.conf:

exclude=zinf* php-domxml xmms* mplayer*

2- I have the exact version of faad2 already installed:

[root at totoche root]# rpm -q faad2
faad2-2.0-0.lvn.0.1.rc1.1

AND this package is available in:

http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/