Fedora - The Next Generation

T. Nifty Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 30 05:50:37 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:20:10PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > By stripping down the initial install we can fokus on making Fedora better
> > and we can actually implement some of the suggestions on this list.  Being
> > based on Fedora it should be easy to add additional components as required,
> > something like a minimal install and add what you need.
> ----
> your fondness or lack thereof of edge / release scheduled distributions
> is noted but not of interest to fedora. Production servers really should
> be on 'stable' which is what you want. White Box is what you want...RHEL
> for free. I would encourage them to use RHEL but if they want stable for
> free...this is the ticket.
>
> http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/

whiteboxlinux, Tao and Centos Linux...

Think clearly about using a parasitic distribution that takes the source
of a supported product and deprives the primary support organization
of it's beer money.

If you cannot afford RHEL at the list price call and beg. Then do what
has to be done.

If you like the added value and twiddle that the secondary packaging
folks add then sure.

And yes "parasitic distribution" is a bit loaded.  If you can operate
in a symbiotic way to the "community" on a secondary distribution have
at it (IMO).

In many ways that is what RH is doing.  They are symbiotic in this
GPL, opensource, GNU, Linux world we are in.

Free as in speech not as in beer, an interesting concept.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l