Fedora - The Next Generation

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Wed Jun 30 07:39:35 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 10:50:37PM -0700, T. Nifty Hat Mitchell wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2004 at 06:20:10PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
> > > By stripping down the initial install we can fokus on making Fedora better
> > > and we can actually implement some of the suggestions on this list.  Being
> > > based on Fedora it should be easy to add additional components as required,
> > > something like a minimal install and add what you need.
> > ----
> > your fondness or lack thereof of edge / release scheduled distributions
> > is noted but not of interest to fedora. Production servers really should
> > be on 'stable' which is what you want. White Box is what you want...RHEL
> > for free. I would encourage them to use RHEL but if they want stable for
> > free...this is the ticket.
> >
> > http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/
> >

> whiteboxlinux, Tao and Centos Linux...
>
> Think clearly about using a parasitic distribution that takes the source
> of a supported product and deprives the primary support organization
> of it's beer money.
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/3/en/os/i386/SRPMS
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/enterprise/3AS/en/os/SRPMS

RedHat allows this, so it must feel that either it gains on doing this, or
it isn't losing much (it decided against RH Linux and moved to Fedora for
*some* reasons).

WhiteBox compiles and packages a distribution that is worthwhile to the
community, for nothing. How is it being parasitic?

> If you cannot afford RHEL at the list price call and beg. Then do what
> has to be done.

I paid for RHN in RHL 9 days, when I had a part time job.  Now, I can't
afford RHEL at any price, as my money isn't mine to spend on how I choose.
If I'm intelligent enough to support some linux systems by my own, and I'm
only interested in security updates, freely available from redhat, how can
I justify such expense?

But I'm trying to get the university department to get a subscription, at
least for the Linux Investigation Group here (http://gil.di.uminho.pt/).
But money is running low around here.

And I'm talking about the education subscription, imagine AS at full
price for a couple of machines.

> If you like the added value and twiddle that the secondary packaging
> folks add then sure.
>
> And yes "parasitic distribution" is a bit loaded.  If you can operate
> in a symbiotic way to the "community" on a secondary distribution have
> at it (IMO).
>
> In many ways that is what RH is doing.  They are symbiotic in this
> GPL, opensource, GNU, Linux world we are in.
>
> Free as in speech not as in beer, an interesting concept.

But still free to resell or give away.

Regards,
Luciano Rocha