Permission to write Windows partition

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Wed Jun 30 13:34:27 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 14:23, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> The question is how to let users write to a mounted partition. users
> is not the answer. I suspect the permissions on either the mount or
> the permissions on the directory they are mounted on will give us the
> answer.

I do this in /etc/fstab

<dev>   <mntpoint>   vfat   users,quiet,gid=users,dmask=007,fmask=117

This makes sure that the files are owned by group "users" and that
directories all have permissions drwxrwx--- and files have permissions
-rw-rw----. Then all you have to do is put the users you want to have
read and write access to the disk in the group "users". Of course you
could create your a new group specifically for this, and tinker with the
dmask and fmask to finesse it to meet your exact needs.

Best, Darren

D. D. Brierton            darren at dzr-web.com          www.dzr-web.com