Weird apt-get problem

Robert Locke rlocke at ralii.com
Wed Jun 30 15:29:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 09:34, William Hooper wrote:
> Frank Pineau said:
> > Anyone else seeing this?  Up2date reports a new package (in this case,
> > strace-4.5.5), but apt-get does not.  The repositories that apt-get is
> > looking at all have the new package, but apt-get insists strace-4.5.4 is
> > the latest available.  Obviously, this is not the only package, but
> > apt-get does occasionally show new packages.
>
> The strace RPM is dated 28-Jun-2004, but the metadata (where apt looks to determine new packages) is dated 24-Jun-2004.
>
> --
> William Hooper

The same thing has been happening to me using yum (so it is not
exclusive to apt-get).  I had presumed that while the physical rpm had
made it to the various mirrors, they had yet to update their "header"
files, which is what it sounds like William is pointing out to us.

I am finding that intermittently it has been taking 24-48 hours for the
yum "headers" to reflect the same information displayed by the
rhn_applet on my panel.

BTW, strace finally updated about an hour ago for me....

--Rob