Fedora and IBM's OS/2

Wed Jun 30 18:25:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 19:00 +0000, Postmaster wrote:

May want to check your clock/TZ configuration.  This message arrived
with a future timestamp.

> Sirs,
>
> I am running IBM OS/2 ver 4.52 operating system box with two NIC cards
> and Firewall running a peer to peer TCP/IP/NetBios and TCP/IP file and
> print sharing.
>
> In the past I had 3 laptops dual boot WIN98 and OS/2. These worked fine.
> Now I am moving the laptops to Fedora version 9.

There is no Fedora version 9.  Must be Red Hat 9 which is beyond the
official end-of-life.  Would suggest moving to Fedora Core 1 or 2 for
new installations.

> I have been unable to
> get any access to the Internet or to see OS/2 box or other Fedora laptops.

Sounds like you may have a configuration problem on the Linux boxes.
Can they ping each other?

> The OS/2 box is 192.168.1.1 and laptops are 2, 3, and so on. All the
> hardware in the laptops are supported by Fedora IBM Thinkpads 600e's and
> an A21e. I have no idea how to get the Thinkpads with Fedora installed
> to access the Internet via an OS/2 box and firewall or to share files
> and dirs.

Have no experience with OS/2, and if it's running TCP/IP see no apparent
reason the connectivity you want shouldn't be possible; but why not put
a current OS (i.e. FC1 or FC2) on the firewall and perhaps consider a
separate server inside the firewall?  Is there a compelling reason to
stick with OS/2 if the rest of the environment is moving to Linux?

Phil