What is the right folder to install .bin file

Barry Yu barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 30 19:47:52 UTC 2004

As root, I downloaded the Audacity-1.2.xxxx.bz2 , and it is in  /root
and I untar it, and then ./audacity-1.2.xxxxx.bin, and the installation
goes on, created a subfolder /audacity-1.2.xxxxx under /root, I cd into
it and ./audacity and the program starts fine.
I decide to install it out of /root so regular user can use it, /usr/bin
or /usr/local which one should be the right place?, do I have to chmod
a+x the audacityxxx.bin file before installing it in the new place?
p.s. : I am not asking for a yum install method instead of  the
./audacity.bin because I had tried 2 repositories already but none of
them worked, and the last resort is audacityxxxxxx.bin and it is working
fine now)