more samba woes

Chris Botha jcbotha at cedar.org.za
Sat Mar 6 08:42:05 UTC 2004

  Message: 2
  Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 13:46:27 -0500
  To: fedora-list at redhat.com
  Subject: more samba woes
  From: Ryan Duff <ryan at duff-duff.net>

  I've gone through and used terminal to add a user...

  smbpasswd -a ryan
  (entered password)
  smbpasswd -e ryan

  this is what the share looks like in my samba.conf file

  [music]
  valid user = ryan
  path = /mnt/music
  create mode = 0777
  directory mode = 777
  browseable = yes
  comment = music
  writeable = yes

  encrypt passwords is set to yes and security is set to share

  there is also a homes share

  [homes]
  comment = Home Directories
  browseable = yes
  writeable = yes

  The shares show up in network neighborhood but when I click on them it
  tells me I don't have permission to access the share. My windows user and
  password match my linux user/pass and samba user/pass. Any more
  suggestions. I tried using webmin to set it up and that didn't help any.
  I'm going to try and install swat after work tonight and see if that'll
  help me get things straight. I think I used swat on drake before and got
  things setup through that. If anybody has any suggestions as to what may
  still be causing this problem please speak up.

  Also, I don't have the firewall service turned on. For a brief moment it
  did show my home directory and the files in it and I know I clicked no to
  set up the firewall when I installed FC1. One more thing, I did remember to
  restart samba after I made the changes and still nothign. "service smb
  restart"

  Thanks for the help
  Ryan Duff

Hi Ryan

I sit with exactly the same problem, my users cannot access their home files but they can access other shares on the network. I also do not under stand why the users that I set with a workgroup is not listed in the /etc/groups file. it only lists the groups and not the users with those groups.

Please post your experiment that I can see whether I can get things straight with me aswell. Fedora changed so much from RH8 that I actually would like to go back to RH8 but my new server wont run RH8.

Good luck, I will only return Monday to work to continue my search.

Chris