renovate partitions without reinstalling

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Mar 8 21:19:54 UTC 2004

Charles Howse wrote:

>On Monday 08 March 2004 02:04 pm, thedogfarted wrote:
>

>>>Ummm...I thought we mounted filesystems rather than partitions...?
>>>Could you show me an example of how to mount a partition while in rescue
>>>mode, please?
>>>

>>let it be filesystems. never heard about more filesystems on one
>>partition or one filesystem on many partitions
>>

>After referring to man mount, it appears you are correct.
>My apologies.  :-)

A partition by definition is a filesystem (unless you are talking about
lvm, but that is a filesystem on a logical volume (partition) that can
span multiple physical volumes). A partition cannot be mounted unless
the fileysytem has been created.

However, it is possible to mount a portion of a filesystem.  See the
--bind or --rbind options.
Also consider how nfs and samba shares work.  There a piece of a
filesystem begining at a particular point is allowed to be mounted remotely.

>>for example i had to move all data form /dev/hda6 (my previous /home) to
>>/dev/hda3 (newly created)
>>
>>#mkdir /mnt/oldhome
>>#mkdir /mnt/newhome
>>
>>#mount /dev/hda6 -t ext3 /mnt/oldhome
>>#mount /dev/hda3 -t ext3 /mnt/newhome
>>
>>#cp -r /mnt/oldhome/* /mnt/newhome

Be careful here!!  In the shell the '*' does NOT find/copy hidden files
or folders (those whose name begins with a "." such as " .bashrc".

To confirm that  a simple comparison of the results of "ls -d *"  and
"ls -d .*" in your home directory will show the difference.