MS Intellimice optical 'shutting down' anyone?

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Wed Mar 10 14:26:20 UTC 2004

Andre Costa wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:55:21 +1000
> Scott Burns <scott at mirrabooka.com> wrote:
>

>>Andre Costa wrote:
>>

>>>It could of course be a hardware (mouse) problem, but I would like to
>>>know if anyone had any similar experience -- or has any black-magic
>>>procedure to make X "re-probe" the mouse...
>>>

>>Try Ctrl-Alt-F1 then Ctrl-Alt-F7
>>
>>I use this on our old KVM switch to revive the mouse after swapping
>>terminals.  I belive the "magic" part is that mouse control gets
>>swapped from X through to gpm then back to X, both of which
>>reinitialise the mouse.
>

> Thks, Scott, this sounds like a nice workaround. I will try it next time
> mouse dies. However, gpm is disabled here -- I thought it could have
> something to do with this problem. I guess this (switching back and
> forth from console) won't work without gpm, right? Anyway, I will try
> starting up gpm when I switch to console.
>
> As I said on a previous post, I am now trying XFree's own "nv" driver
> instead of NVidia's, to try to narrow down the cause of the problem.
> Let's see what happens...
>
> Best,
>
> Andre

It could be that your mouse driver is having issues now.  Not that X
server is actually having a problem.  Did you perhaps get your driver
changed for some reason or another?  Have you reconfigured your mouse
driver?  Change it to a generic mouse (ps/2, usb, serial respectively).
  Then change it back to the correct driver.  Maybe play with it as a
generic mouse and see if it happens again.  Then if it doesn't change it
back to full driver and see if it still happens.  If it still happens
you may want to track down the driver author and file a bug.

Wade