viruses from mailinglist

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Thu Mar 11 00:33:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 02:25, Dale A. Raby wrote:
> I got a similar message... it had something called "bagel" in it.
>
> On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:55:07PM +0100, Bernd Kauling wrote:
> > snipped
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > --
> > > 14:53-14:57
> > > Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) Linux 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl

Got this warning from my administrator today!

VIRUS ALERT

Important notice to all CO.ZA clients and business partners.
UniForum SA has recently learned that a new email transmitted virus is
currently in circulation. The email virus falsely purports to originate
from a trusted email address such as those used by the CO.ZA Registry.
The email is disseminated in the form of a password protected attachment
(and therefore potentially cannot be scanned by the anti-virus
software). The virus however supplies you with the password and requires
you to input the password when you click on the icon to run the program.
Any password protected attachment purporting to come from our systems is
in all likelihood false. You are urged not to open any such email until
you can confirm its authenticity with the sender.

Chad