samba Problem

Ryan Duff ryan at duff-duff.net
Thu Mar 11 04:02:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 15:09:17 -0500, Ryan Duff <ryan at duff-duff.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:38:45 +0100, Alexander Dalloz
> <alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de> wrote:

>>> the

>>> browser

>>> I have a similar problem.  In my case, my linux keeps fighting with my
>>> laptop that has win xp on it.  I played a bit with the settings you
>>> suggest Alexander without much succes.
>>
>> If your samba machine is running continuously then set:
>>
>> local master = yes
>> os level = 65
>> preferred master = yes
>>
>> This way - after service smb restart - your Samba server should win
>> master browser election against each Windows[tm] machine in you LAN. If
>> you have more Samba machines you have to choose one machine to be local
>> master and the others to be not. All options are commented inside
>> smb.conf and in the Samba docs.
>>
>> Alexander
>>

> Is this why I keep having a problem browsing my network from my xp
> machines? I have a linux box, 2 xp boxes and an ibook. 1 of my xp
> machines is setup with internet connection sharing so it's running as a
> dhcp server. Every time I try to browse my network from my xp machines it
> gives me an error and says the workgroup is not accessable. However, if i
> type in \\smb name it will show me the shares on the computer I want to
> see. I'm still puzzled.

Yeah, that's what my problem was. I edited my smb.conf file on my linux box
because linux was fighting my xp box to be PDC. I set it to

local master = no
preferred master = no
os level = 20

and did a service smb restart and went to work and when I came home
everything had fiextd itself and I can now browse from my windows machine.

The moral of the story is that if you can't browse your network, you have 2
or more machines fighting to be PCD.

Ryan Duff