Ip tables is not startting up FC1

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Mar 11 15:55:47 UTC 2004

At 09:42 3/11/2004, you wrote:
>When I reboot my box, iptables does not run.
>
>if I service iptables start|stop iptables get start it.  I checked
>chkconfig and iptables is on on run level 3 and 5.  what could be wrong;
>which log can look into to see why ipatabels is not launching on reboot?

Check the output of the logs in /var/log/messages. "grep iptables
/var/log/messages" should do it.

Check to see that your system is not also starting ipchains (the older
firewalling code that iptables replaced) because the two conflict. "rpm -q
ipchains" will tell you if it's installed, and if it is, then do this:

         # service ipchains stop
         # rpm -e ipchains

A program called lokkit may also be installed with ipchains. You can safely
change that last line to "rpm -e ipchains lokkit" to remove them both.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com