installing kernel 2.6.4 on (not over) 2.4

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Thu Mar 18 03:52:22 UTC 2004

Michal Zeravik wrote:

> Ok, I removed XFree86-Mesa-libGL-4.3.0-55 and what should I also remove
> XFree86-Mesa-libGLU-4.3.0-55 if I'm using nvidia drivers with kernel2.6?
>
> michaz

I imagine that you would want to remove all things related to Mesa. As
stated, I left my nvidia computer alone for trying to install Linux on
it. I also made it a point to avoid nvidia on the laptap that we purchased.

For pointers on getting nvidia drivers to compile for the 2.6 kernel. I
suggest reading the fedora-test archives. It might be easier to find
something relevent to nvidia by looking for posts in conversation with
mharris at redhat. He is the current X server maintainer and explains
the mesa vs. nvidia problem in great detail.

Sorry, not familiar with the nvidia compilation. Just some of the issues
with the X server.

Have you tried using the nv driver provided in the X server programs?

Jim