openssl issue

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Mar 18 15:58:59 UTC 2004

At 09:11 3/18/2004, you wrote:

>If you are using FC as an _important_ corporate machine under
>heavy load [...] it's nice to use {RPM,APT,YUM} but if you are going
>to stress test, tweak and/or are paranoid you can only trust:
>
>./configure && make && su -c "make install"

You may choose to live that way... I do not.

The single biggest reason why I use Red Hat Linux, RHEL, and Fedora is that
I trusted RH to provide me with timely and well-built packages such that I
would never have to rebuild vanilla code again. I now trust RH to spend the
time, money, and effort in creating a community-based system to make sure
the same happens for Fedora.

If it were all "configure, make, make install" I would not be using Linux
at all. I do finance and real estate... someone else builds operating
systems and packages. No reason we should duplicate each other's work.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com