openssl issue

Christopher Ness nesscg at mcmaster.ca
Fri Mar 19 20:38:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 23:45, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> I am utterly and completely ignorant. Since a huge percentage of the Linux
> unwashed are just like me, someone please comment: what can I, or someone
> like me, do to help test something like this so it moves from "testing" to
> "released" more quickly?

Your installation of the testing package will not speed up the release
of the code.  There are internal tests that software makers run to
validate their code (even then we all know that testing cannot find all
bugs).

You've got a choice.  For the average user you would *not* want to touch
a testing release with a 10 foot pole.  BUT...

There is always a "but" right.

In the case of openssl you are looking at a fairly stable package and
minimal changes to a stable release.  You are very likely not going to
put high demand on openssl to probe it deeply for errors.  But, if
something isn't working the way you expect it to read bugzilla to see if
others are having the problem too, if not file a bug.

In this specific case I would encourage you to install the testing
package IF you are worried about your SSL installation.  It is your best
bet against getting cracked.

For other pieces of software though I would think twice about installing
testing code (For example the new upcoming Evolution).

Did I get all that out okay?
HTH,
Chris
--
Software Engineering IV,
McMaster University

15:20:42 up 49 min, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.10, 0.08