SMB Shares

Mike Klinke lsomike at futzin.com
Fri Mar 19 21:11:17 UTC 2004

On Friday 19 March 2004 14:56, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> But I haven't set suid root anywhere, at least I dont think I have,
> could be the chmod u+s that I set on smbmount and smbmount?
>
> thanks
> Chad

Yes, about 1/2 hour ago you wrote ...

On Friday 19 March 2004 14:20, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> I have run chmod +s /usr/bin/smbmnt
> and chmod +s /usr/bin/smbmount
>
> I have also tried chmod u+s on both smbmnt and smbmount

>From "man chmod"

A combination of the letters `ugoa' controls which users' access to
the file  will  be  changed:  the  user who owns it (u), other users
in the file's group (g), other users not in the file's group (o), or
all users (a).   If  none of these are given, the effect is as if `a'
were given, but bits that are set in the umask are not affected.

The operator `+' causes the permissions selected to  be  added  to
the existing  permissions  of each file; `-' causes them to be
removed; and `=' causes them to be the only permissions that the file
has.

The letters `rwxXstugo' select the new  permissions  for  the
affected users:  read  (r),  write (w), execute (or access for
directories) (x), execute only if the file is a directory or already
has execute  permission  for  some user (X), set user or group ID on
execution (s), sticky (t), the permissions granted to the user who
owns  the  file  (u),  the permissions  granted to other users who
are members of the file's group (g), and the permissions granted to
users that are in  neither  of  the two preceding categories (o).

Regards,  Mike Klinke