Acroread Problem

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Mar 23 22:47:27 UTC 2004

John Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:52:53 -0600
> Fritz Whittington <f.whittington at att.net> wrote:
>>The problem is, that IF there's a plugin
>>installed that can handle a file, then Mozilla will happily ignore
>>your attempts to set up a helper app to handle it.  You might even
>>discover that Acroread will work as an external helper app.  But at
>>least then you can have your choice.
>

> Firefox must be different,then.  I completely deleted nppdf.so from my system and it still opens pdf files in acroread instead of xpdf.

I'll bet it opens them using an external acroread window rather than in
a plugin, however. nppdf.so is only  related to the acroread plugin, and
won't have any effect on your choice of helper app, except, as the
parent notes, that if you have a workign plugin, mozilla/firefox will
use the plugin no matter what helper app you configure.

Check the settings for application/pdf under the helper application
preference.