startx doen't die on logout

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Fri Mar 26 20:06:02 UTC 2004

Oisin Curtin wrote:

>Keven Ring wrote a sequel:
>

>>Keven Ring wrote:

>>>I have a laptop + dock station at work with Fedora Core 1 installed,
>>>with all of it's packages up to date.  The laptop displays with a
>>>resolution of 1400x1050, while my external flat panel only can do
>>>1280x1024.  If I log out of my laptop, the screen becomes completely
>>>unusable - that is, a black screen.  Ctrl-Alt-Backspace does *not*
>>>

>>>All three laptops have ATI graphics cards, while the desktop at home
>>>has a Matrox MGA card.
>>>

>I have an HP vectra at work with matrox on MB, works fine.
>Exact same vectra at home, but with added ATI @work, fails on logout
>in mode 5.
>
>I kill (signal TERM, the default) the two copies of gdm-binary instead
>of kill -9 X.  It seems to be a cleaner kill.  (Did I just say that?)
>

>>>If I had to take a stab in the dark, I'd say that there might be
>>>something wrong when X tries to log out and there are different
>>>display resolutions, but that's just a wild stab.
>>>

>I wonder if it's a problem in the ATI driver?  Anyone have this problem
>without an ATI card?

The "original" poster indicated that they had an NVidia card....

>>When I set the laptop to have 2x1280x1024 displays, login/logout works
>>fine.  When I reset the display to 1x1400x1050, 1x1280x1024, the X
>>Server fails to terminate.
>>

>Is this true for repeated login/logout or just the first one or two
>times?  ISTR experimenting along the same lines.

Well, logging out of the 2x1280x1024 worked twice in a row.  I changed
the X config back to 1x1400x1050, 1x1280x1024, and it failed to log out.

Given that I don't log out that often, I haven't experimented logging in
and out more than that.