Help needed tracking out hardware problem...

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Tue Mar 30 11:26:36 UTC 2004

Mauri Sahlberg wrote:

>Hi,
>
>As the guarantee of my laptop nears it's end the laptop has started to
>have unwanted symptoms. Namely it shuts itself down without no apparent
>reason. My guess is that it suffers from overheating and bails out.
>Usually I get this after an hour of work and running a long sequence of
>database queries (selects and inserts, about 20000 inserts and selects).
>I've been told that the board and processor probably have built in
>sensors for heat and several other goodies that could help me to
>diagnose the problem but I have no clue whatsoever how to read them. I
>guess I need something compiled in kernel and a suitable client program
>to record and display the values in real time. Any suggestions or
>keywords to throw in for google?
>
>Regards

Are you booting with acpi=on as a kernel boot argument?

If so there is probably information available such as :
 cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature
temperature:             51 C

If you do have acpi but no /proc/acpi/thermal_zone try
 modprobe thermal

Good luck.

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021