Help with apt and ftp

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Mon Mar 1 12:48:42 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 13:23, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Maynard Kuona wrote :
>
> > I want to use ftp instead of http for apt, using a dedicated ftp proxy.
> > However, I am unable to configure it to work properly. When I use gftp
> > through the proxy, it gives the following,
>
> Just a quick note here : The http apt URLs for ayo.freshrpms.net do not work
> with the same paths through ftp. In fact, the main Red Hat Linux and Fedora
> Core files aren't accessible through ftp on ayo.freshrpms.net currently
> because of symlinks outside the ftp tree, which the http server follows.
>
> Why not use a proxy for the http files? Most users who don't have access to
> both http and ftp only have http and not the other way around.

No, its a funny policy at my university. They actually prefer people to
use the ftp proxy. ftp can be at least twice as fast, and faster then
http because of that. We have access to both ftp and http through proxy,
different proxies at that. I just needed to know how to do it for those
sites which I can use ftp for. I am sure the official fedora archives
can be accessed via ftp.