laptop without floopy...disable in kernel and boot cdrom

ronnie escobedo tenminuteslater at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 2 02:08:00 UTC 2004

I have a dell inspiron 5100  running fdc 1 and xp. My system does not come
with a floppy. So there are a few things I'd like to do:

1. How do I disable the floppy drive in the kernel? When I shut my laptop
down I get an error similar to:
"insmod floppy...failed"

2. Since I do not have a floppy I'd like to create a boot disk on a cd  and
I'd also like to put grub on cd. I've searched the net for about 2 months
trying to get a boot disk and grub on cds. Any help or links appreciated.