smallest possible installation.

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Tue Mar 2 02:37:17 UTC 2004

Lars Kellogg-Stedman wrote:
>>> is there a possibility to install in textmode a little, core
>>> installation
>>> with network in order to install the rest we need over internet (i.e.
>>> yum, apt) ?
>>>
>>> thx
>>> tobias
>>

>> Wrong list, Tobias. Please try it again on fedora-test-list at redhat.com.
>>

> Wait, why is this the wrong list?  This has nothing to do with the
> Fedora test release, and seems like a good question for a broader
> audience.  Or possible the -devel list, but I suspect the first question
> is whether anybody thinks this is a good idea.

The FC1 installation already has an option for a 'minimal install' that
works quite well. You can even use a network-install to install that
minimal set, then add whatever else you want with yum/apt/up2date/whatever.

I presume that FC2 in it's actual non-test release form (when it occurs)
will also include this ability.

If you want to get something like this added in to the test releases
earlier, that would indeed be an appropriate discussion for the
fedora-test-list, where the test-release users hang out.

Most of us have our hands full with making sure the 'stable' Fedora
release (currently FC1) works properly for everyone.