Email Servers? Basic advise needed.

bryan at redfedora.co.uk bryan at redfedora.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 05:57:03 UTC 2004

Hello all,

            I am looking at building my first Linux email system. I very
much would like to use Linux over windows/exchange for all the obvious
reasons. The Servers need to host @1400 pop3 accounts. I was wondering if
any of you could tell me if it is possible to cluster multiple mail servers
for redundancy/performance. What distro / mail server software do you all
recommend?

Ron

I switched to sendmail four years ago and never regretted my decision to do
so. Admitedly there have been a couple of security issues in that time but
doing the patches saves the heartache. I have looked at failover solutions
but can't really comment on clustering because I've never done it up to now.
Sendmail hasn't skipped a beat in that time so I never persued it any
further. The previous windows solution needed a poke every week to keep it
running and I must have saved hours of the 'is the email server running?'
questions to more than make up for doing the switch.

Have fun which ever solution you pick but I can recommend Sendmail no
worries.

Bry