smallest possible installation.

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Mar 2 15:44:20 UTC 2004

At 17:11 3/1/2004, you wrote:
>but there was no more options for deselect of any packages and these
>'custom' installation was 537mb with many of unnecessary packages,
>they must be removed manually... :(
>
>is there a possibility to install in textmode a little, core installation
>with network in order to install the rest we need over internet (i.e. yum,
>apt) ?

Tobias:

I've done some work with this using FC1 and with the help of about a dozen
other people. We've managed to pare down a useful, practical FC1 install
down to about 380MB. Many more things /could/ be removed, but at the cost
of losing some functionality and flexibility. Check out the archives of the
fedora-minimal list (in particular, my posts since I often posted a summary
of successful recommendations by others):

I'm also trying to convert these notes and results into a "Small Netserver
HOWTO" which will take such a minimal but useful system and build on it to
create a home/SOHO machine playing firewall/gateway, DHCP, DNS, and NTP
duties. Unfortunately, I'm progressing veeeeeerrrrrryyy
slllloooooowwwwwlllyyy. :-( Still, if you give me a day or two you'll find
the most recent update of this draft on:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

I'll try to complete it sometime this century, I promise. In the meantime,
any feedback is welcome!

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com