k3b copy problems

Mihai Maties mihai at xcyb.org
Tue Mar 2 17:10:48 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 18:48, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Having seen the virtues of k3b extolled in the forum, I decided to give
> it a try. It works fine for creating a cd from scratch. However, when I
> try to copy a cd, I get errors that seem to be related to this message:
>
>    No support for ATAPI with cdrdao
>    You will not be able to use all your reading devices as copy
>    sources   since there is at least one not configured to use
>    SCSI emulation and your system does not support ATAPI with
>    cdrdao.
>    Solution: The best and recommended solution is to enable
>    ide-scsi (SCSI emulation) for all devices. This way you won't
>    have any problems.

K3b is able to copy CDs via cdrdao or readcd/cdrecord. cdrdao does not support
ATAPI devices natively so you must enable scsi emulation on your device to
use it.

Since you are not using scsi-emulation K3b warns you about not being able to
use cdrdao at all, but it shouldn't be any problem because you can still copy
CDs via readcd/cdrecord.

> Using Google, I never found a definitive answer to this. The best
> suggestion seemed to be to include a directive in the grub.conf. When I
> looked, I seemed to already have this directive:
>
>    title Fedora Core (2.4.22-awr1)
>      root (hd0,9)
>      kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-awr1 ro root=LABEL=/12
>      hdc=ide-scsi rhgb
>      initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.22-awr1.img

You must have the "hdc=ide-scsi" part on the same line with "kernel...".

> Which seems to matche what I see in dmesg:
>
>    hdc: attached ide-cdrom driver.
>    hdc: ATAPI 52X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
>    hdd: attached ide-cdrom driver.
>    hdd: ATAPI 48X DVD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache, UDMA(33)
>
> I'm now lost. Could someone help me out with the correct configuration?

You could enable scsi-emulation on your device if for some reason copying cds
with cdrecord does not work.

Mihai