GRUB question ... should I worry about this in the MBR?

Keith G. Robertson-Turner redhat-forums at genesis-x.nildram.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 17:23:49 UTC 2004

I had a (very nearly) nasty little accident involving the bootsector on my
/dev/sda1 (FAT32) yesterday.

Basically, I've got a 3-way boot system, comprising Fedora, WinXP & Win98,
with /dev/sda1 as the primary boot partition (C:), and the GRUB bootloader
in the MBR on /dev/sda. The bootsector of /dev/sda1 contained the NT
bootloader NTLDR startup code.

At some point while using the SuSe 9 live CD, it somehow managed to
bØrk the bootsector, and changed the bootsector code on /dev/sda1 from
the NTLDR code, to a standard Win95/98 bootsector. Thus making it
impossible to boot into WinXP (Win98 booted fine however).

A bit of Googling later, revealed that I had to boot from the WinXP CD,
press F10 to enter the recovery console, login as Administrator, and type
FIXBOOT to restore the bootsector.

OK so far, but in a fit of paranoia, I decided to backup both the MBR and
the bootsector on sda1, with:

dd if=/dev/sda of=disk1-MBR.img bs=512 count=1
dd if=/dev/sda1 of=disk1-part1-bootsector.img bs=512 count=1

Nothing wrong with that, except when I looked at disk1-MBR.img using
hexedit, I saw this in the first 24 bits:

.H....LILO.............?

Where the hell did *that* come from? I have never used LILO on this disk
... ever?

Further down, I see:

And this correlates to /usr/share/grub/i386-redhat/stage1 which is
identical to my MBR except for two areas ... the word "LILO" and further
down the word "FLOPPY"?

Should I worry about this?

The system boots normally (all 3 OS's) but I'm concerned that I'm might be
in for trouble later on?

-
K.