external usb drive

Gertjan Vinkesteijn fedora.1.90 at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 3 04:33:42 UTC 2004

Colin Charles wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 06:19, Sarah Fish wrote:
>

>>How do I access an external usb 2.0 harddrive?  I have read a couple of
>>"How-tos", but something isn't registering in my brain. I've had a very
>>bad day!
>>

>Plug it in. Watch /var/log/messages (tail -f /var/log/messages as root).
>See what the device gets registered as.
>
>Generally, it should work such that you perform:
>	mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/extdisk
>
>Where vfat is the filesystem type of the usb hard drive, /dev/sda1 is
>what you picked up from the messages, and /mnt/extdisk is the path to
>mount it.
>
>All the best.

Keep in mind that you cannot mount an usb drive from /etc/fstab, because
it is an usb-scsi emulation, put the mount in /etc/rc.local like
fsck -p /dev/sda1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

Do you need it as /usr or so, then you might put this in
/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit after the initialization of usb.

sincerly

--
Peace is everywhere
http://gershwin.xs4all.nl