D-Link Wireless Hardware Support

Gerry Doris gdoris at rogers.com
Wed Mar 3 15:14:35 UTC 2004

> On Tuesday March 2, 2004 "Gerry Doris" <gdoris at rogers.com>  wrote:
>> In my area there only seem to be two main wireless vendor products for
>> sale.  The first is D-Link and the second is LinkSys.  I personally have
>> used and like D-Link and I also noticed that their new wireless hardware
>> is operating at 108MB/sec.
>>
>> I don't believe that the current crop of D-Link hardware is supported
>> under Fedora???  Are there any plans to support it with Fedora 2 or the
>> 2.6 kernel?
>
> Gerry,
>
> A better question is "When will D-Link support Fedora 2 or the 2.6
> kernel?"
>
> Lately D-Link has been using some components whose OEMs forbid them from
> making any programming information public. An example of this is their
> DWL-A650 802.11a card. For more than a year the D-Link web site advised us
> Linux folks to "be patient". When I ran out of patience and wrote to
> D-Link about this, I received a terse reply saying "We don't support
> Linux." Duh!
>
> If the manufacturer of a wireless card won't publish its technical specs,
> there's very little anybody can do to create a Linux driver for Fedora, or
> any other distribution for that matter.
>
> My personal rule of thumb:  D-Link is D-Worst.  I suggest you try Linksys.
>
> --Doc Savage
>   Fairview Heights, IL

Thanks for your reply.  I was afraid this was going to be the answer.  I
called and talked to one of the tech reps and was told simply that "we
don't support linux".  He didn't know why.

Actually, he was better than the last time I tried to find out about linux
support.  I knew I was in trouble when I was asked "What is linux".

Gerry