Iomega USB Zip 250 usage

Dale A. Raby publisher at thegreenbayweb.com
Wed Mar 3 20:42:12 UTC 2004

Hello:

I am new to this list, so I apologize if this issue has been raised
before.

After installing Fedora, I found that I could not access my USB Iomega
Zip 250 drive.  Since this device is what I had saved my important data
to, I had a problem.

I know, I am an unwashed savage without any silicon in my veins, but I
stumbled on a solution which, though perhaps inelegant, has the
advantage in that it works:

     1. Open a terminal (right click with mouse and select that option).
     2. Enter the command (without quotation marks) "mount mnt/zip".
     3. This will produce a wonderful sound of clicking and whirring
        from the Zip drive followed by the appearance on the desktop of
        a Zip drive icon.

You can now access the drive both from the command line and from the
GUI.  Right clicking on the icon will produce a mini-menu that includes
items like "eject" and "format".  If the drive is not active when you
click "eject", the disk will not actually be ejected, but the icon will
disappear and you can then manually eject the disk by hitting the eject
button on the drive itself.

Hope somebody finds this useful... if not... oh well.

Dale