Fedora the right choice?

Wade Chandler wchandler at redesetgrow.com
Wed Mar 3 20:58:36 UTC 2004

Wade Chandler wrote:

> George Lemos wrote:
>
>> I am building a server to do several things. Host a simple website and
>> web
>> forum, host a voice communications utility, and run a multiplayer game
>> server for about 20-25 people. FYI system specs P4 1.4ghz, 1GB ram. I can
>> easily get this going on a windows server which is what I do for a
>> living.
>> But in an effort to force myself to learn and get more experience with
>> Linux
>> I would like to commit to running this box with Linux.
>>
>> Linux may use less of the boxes resources too.
>>
>> Is fedora the right choice for me? Will this distro of Linux get me to
>> the
>> level of success I am looking for? I'm planning on doing this the command
>> line route all the way. I am assuming if I install this OS minus the GUI
>> I'll have extra resources for the box to do its thing.
>>
>> As a Linux novice, anything I should know or look into, be aware of, etc
>> that people on this list can recommend to me will be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks!
>> /g
>>

> I use Fedora, an AMD 1Ghz CPU, and 500MB Ram to run a source control
> server, web server with JSP/Java applications, ftp server, and Firebird
> and MySQL database servers.  It handles the load quite well.  I also use
> another machine as my work station.  My work station is a tri boot
> Windows XP Professional, Fedora, and BEOS machine.  It spends more time
> booted to Fedora.  As another user posted I turn the GUI off on my
> server.  I use VNC to graphically manage my server when I need to.
>
> Wade

Oh yeah, you need to install the gui to be able to use the configuration
tools, you just don't have to use it all the time.  I'll post more
later, but you want to set your box up to boot to run level 3 instead of
level 5.
man init
from a command line will give you a few more details.  You can locate
the RH9 documentation CDs for some good documents.  They are still
usable pertaining to Fedora.  Good introductions and things like that.
Even a whole book or two in PDF format.

Wade